A very cunning Käpitan

In Penzance Cemetery lie the graves of twenty two Second World War casualties from four individual ships:

P1500367 XXXXXX

These vessels were in a convoy which was attacked by six German E boats ten miles to the west of Lizard Point, during the night of January 5th-6th 1944. All four ships were sunk. The casualties included HMS Wallasea, an armed trawler which was acting as one of the escort ships, the S.S.Solstad, the M.V.Polperro and the M.V.Underwood. This attack was part of the German attempts to disrupt the Allies’ obvious preparations for an invasion of Western Europe that coming summer.

What is so very striking about Naval war graves, however, having seen the last resting places of literally thousands of Army and Air Force casualties, are that the latter can often be very similar in age, rank or nationality, and perhaps even as far as regiments are concerned: in other words, the same kind of details may be repeated over and over again. With Naval graves, though, you feel almost as if a whole family is involved, with people of often widely differing ages, all having performed some specific job within the ship. And like a family, that ship is the sum of these individual parts.
The S.S.Solstad was a Swedish steam powered cargo ship originally launched in 1924 by Lewis John & Sons Ltd. of Aberdeen, under the name of the “Gatwick”. It weighed just under 1,400 tons, and was travelling from Swansea to London with a cargo of coal when it was torpedoed by the German torpedo boats, S-136 and S-84. The ship sank in three minutes with the loss of five lives. Here is the Solstad in two different companies’ liveries:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Alide Reicher was 53 years of age. She a stewardess on the Solstad. She is, I think, the only woman war casualty whose grave I personally have ever seen, and even more unique is the fact that she was Swedish, a neutral nationality in theory, and was serving on board a ship of the Swedish Merchant Navy. She really was somebody who gave their life for freedom:


The second casualty from the Solstad was Kenneth Allen who was killed aged only eighteen. Kenneth was a Deck Hand and the son of Alfred Anthony Allen and Minnie Allen of Blyth Northumberland. He was the husband of Marjorie Gertrude Allen of Gravesend:

P1500269 xxxxxxxxx

The M.V. Polperro, registered in Fowey, had sailed from Manchester with a cargo of coal, joining a convoy bound for Penryn, Cornwall and then on to London. This is the only photograph that I could find:


The Polperro went down with the loss of all hands, namely eight Merchant Navy seamen and three Royal Navy gunners:

Polperro tower hil ww2 meorial

The wreck lies in 200ft of water. The Penzance graves from this nautical family are two Able Seamen:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The M.V.Underwood, almost three hundred feet long and weighing two thousand tons, was travelling from the River Clyde in Scotland to Portsmouth, with military stores including vehicles. The crew of fifteen seamen and three passengers was all lost. This photo shows the M.V.Tuaranga, which was the sister ship of the Underwood, but in all respects save its name, it is the same vessel:

Port Tuaranga, was the sister ship of M.V.Underwood

The wreck of the Underwood was identified in 1975 by information on the boss of the propeller. This grave is that of the Radio Officer, Alexander McRae. He was 43 years of age and came from Carluke in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Graves do not have accents however. Alexander’s parents were William McRae and Annie McRae (nee Wilkie). His wife was called Edith :


His Majesty’s Trawler Wallasea, (T-345) was an Isle Class Armed Trawler built in 1943. This vessel was part of the Royal Naval Patrol Service and weighed just under five hundred tons.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Seventeen members of the Wallasea’s crew are interred at Penzance.  This closely knit sea-going family includes an Able Seaman, the Cook, an Engineman, a Leading Steward, an Ordinary Signalman, a Seaman, a Second Hand, a Stoker and a Telegraphist:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

All of these Allied vessels were sunk by German E-boats. These impressive vessels were capable of speeds up to almost 50 m.p.h. and were easily the most effective torpedo boats ever built:


The attackers on January 5th-6th 1944 were the 5th Flotilla led by Leutnant-Kommander Karl Wilhelm Walter Müller. The flotilla comprised S84, S136, S138, S141, S-52, S142 and S14. In German, the “S” strands for “schnell” or “fast”. Rather imaginatively, in English the “E” stands for “Enemy”.

Karl Müller, when he was the commander of Schnellboot S-52, was already credited with the sinking of the British destroyer Eskdale on April 14th 1943:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

He was no doubt the very proud owner of his Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross, awarded on July 8th 1943. This is the only picture of Karl Wilhelm Walter Müller which I have been able to find. The lettering across the photo is in German and may refer to copyright problems, but on the other hand, the long word, when re-examined in Photoshop, does appear to have a swastika in the middle of it, so perhaps it is from some archival source:

Karl Müller received Ritterkreuz

On this particular occasion off the coast of Cornwall, Müller was again in command of Schnellboot S-52. He was tasked with attacking convoys in the English Channel. Skilfully, Müller lay in wait for these particular ships of Convoy WP457, very close to the Cornish coast. His little fleet was then able to surprise the convoy by an unexpected attack from the landward side. This is the little cove where the German E-boat fleet sheltered. Look for the orange arrow:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This is the cove where the Germans took refuge. They were extremely close to the shore:


The soldiers guarding the telegraphy installations at Porthcurno presumed that the motor boats must be British and took no action. It was later said that “Their role was to guard the telegraph and not to act as coastal lookouts.” Such pathetic, pompous stupidity was to cost a great many lives.

At three o’clock in the morning of January 6th, 1944, the British convoy was more or less ready to cross Mount’s Bay where:

“The weather was fine with good visibility. It was moonlight with a south-west wind force three and moderate sea. Leaving the cove they prepared to attack the convoy.”

The cunning Leutnant-Kommander Müller had the enormous advantage of complete surprise because his attack came from the landward, Cornwall, side. The escort led by the aging destroyer H.M.S. Mackay was overwhelmed by the firing of no less than 23 torpedoes and four ships were sunk:


The German force’s first attack sank the Solstad and the second, some five miles south of Penzance, sent the Underwood, the Polperro and the Wallasea to the bottom. Nowadays, with the right knowledge from the Internet, these ships can be visited by divers. Look for the orange arrow:

mounts bay
The rest of Convoy WP457 continued on their way, while the brave civilians of the Penlee lifeboat made valiant attempts to rescue any survivors. Those still alive, of course, were faced with a very low water temperature because of the time of year. In total more than sixty people were killed including, as we have already seen, one woman, Alide Reicher, who was a stewardess on the S.S.Solstad which, technically, belonged to the Swedish Merchant Navy.
Overall, Penzance Cemetery holds twenty two naval casualties from this action with the majority, seventeen, being members of the crew of HM Trawler “Wallasea”.
In April 1944, the Fifth Flotilla under Leutenant-Kommander Karl Müller, was among the E-boats who carried out another audacious attack, this time on Exercise or Operation Tiger, a large-scale rehearsal for the D-Day invasion of Normandy which was being held at Slapton in Devon:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

A total of 946 American servicemen were killed, with the almost inevitable communication problems causing many casualties from friendly fire. The majority of the casualties, however, were on the morning of April 28th, when a convoy of troops was attacked in Lyme Bay by nine German E-boats under the command of Korvettenkapitän Bernd Klug:


Leutnant-Kommander Karl Müller survived the war and returned to serve in the West German Navy from 1956–1957. He died in Celle in 1989 at the age of seventy two. Had he been wearing a different uniform in 1944, perhaps an American one, they would have made movies about his daring attack during the 1950s.
It would have been impossible to have written this article without the basic research having been made freely available by David Betts. His excellent book about this most exciting episode in World War Two is advertised here:

There are two final points. Firstly, the war graves in Penzance Cemetery are kept immaculate, every single one. In order to make the inscriptions visible, I have had to photoshop all my photographs and that is the reason that the graves look so peculiar. And last of all, the real cost of war is in these last two photographs. How sad a fate for “our dear Bernard” and a “dear husband and daddy” :

This slideshow requires JavaScript.



Filed under Cornwall, History

13 responses to “A very cunning Käpitan

  1. Tony Wilkins

    “Their role was to guard the telegraph and not to act as coastal lookouts.”

    I would expect this kind of thing from Russians. Thats just appalling.

  2. You have credited a remarkable tribute to both the men and the ships they brought into battle. We can never get over their deaths, but we can remember their lives… Thank you for sharing this story, John.

  3. Pierre Lagacé

    Remarkable is the word.

  4. Pierre Lagacé

    You Sir are a remarkable person as we as GP.

  5. Great article and remembrance.

  6. Excellent. Just excellent.

  7. Fabulous article. To think they only guarded the telegraph! That’s taking orders too literally, what happened to common sense! To be a husband at 18 too! Loved it.

  8. Simon Bromage

    Hi John, can you confirm what evidence you have to support that the E boats were hiding under the lee of the Runnelstone. I have tried to find out which army unit was on duty at the time of the attack, but to no avail. I have received details from a German military historian that the 7 E boats split into three groups and waited for the convoy as it was a known convoy route. I would be very interested in the source you quote about “…….Leaving the cove they prepared to attack the convoy.”

    Thanks in anticipation

    • Hello! In the account I read, the E boats hid in the bay at Porthcurno, so close in that they were presumed to be British. One website that I am sure used to be a lot bigger than it is now was by David F Betts who had a relative on one of the ships that were sunk. The address when I quoted him was “www.bettsbooks.co.uk”. He is also on “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLvp-xQG1UY”. Mr Betts might know which unit was on guard. I hope this helps. I suppose you are not supposed to say this, but I just hope that that daring German commander is never forgotten. A real Errol Flynn!

      • Simon Bromage

        Hi John

        Thanks for your reply. I agree John that the S Boat commanders were very daring and were a real thorn in the side of the allies. The original reference to the S Boats lying in wait under the Runnelstone was written in the book ‘The Port of Penzance, A History’ by Clive Carter (1998, Black Dwarf Publications, Sydney Gloucestershire). Again with this book, there are no sources or references. I live in Truro, originally from Penzance, and I’ve been out to Cable and Wireless at Porthcurno which is now a museum and they do not hold any records from the war. I’ve also spent time at the National Archives in Kew and again can find no references for this. This involved searching for which regular army unit would have been on duty but this is like searching for a needle in a haystack! Like you I believe it could have happened, but without evidence it remains anecdotal.

        The attack consisted of 7 S boats. When the convoy was sighted their initial attack would have followed the usual pattern of a shower of flares (not from reconnaissance aircraft) which would have got the convoy jittery, attack the escorts, and then go for the merchant ships.

        I will continue to look, but unfortunately I’m not convinced I will find anything.

  9. I have only just come across this account. Thank you John. My father was killed on HMS Wallasea but as his body was not recovered he is commemorated at the RNPS Memorial. I have often wondered about the details of that action and finding out the details at last has been rather cathartic. I live in NZ and when I next visit England a return trip to Penzance to see the graves for myself will be high on the Agenda!

    • Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad to be of help. That cemetery in Penzance is very beautiful on a sunny summery day, and is well worth the visit.
      I would try to get the book by David Betts. It might be quite a search but you could start at

      Even better
      I couldn’t get the link to David Betts to work, but nevertheless it ought to be possible to track this book down, especially as it looks quite official and from the Royal Navy.
      And once again, thank you very much for your kind words.

      • davidc009

        Thank you John for a very quick response and the additional information. I had tried the link to David Betts but like you, found that it failed to work. I will endeavour to track down the book – thank goodness for the internet! Now to track down the book …

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.